Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Lady of the Night

I think I am going to become nocturnal.  Like its a decision you make such as becoming a vegetarian or a Mormon.  Anyway for some reason 9 out of the last 10 days my sleep has been less than satisfactory.

I always knew that sleep was important to me but when Vin came along it just solidified how much I need a good night sleep.  Call me lazy (I don't care) but I am very lucky to have a job that allows me to go in at noon and that allows me to sleep till 9 am if I need.  And starting about a year ago I have a kid that also sleeps pretty late.

But for some reason one thing or another has kept me up, gotten me up or awoken me at dumb times thru the night.  Last night I was up from 1-3am because a student that I care about at work is having an issue and my motherly instincts are causing me to worry about her.  The night before it was Vin calling me at 7:45 am (which he NEVER does), "Mommmmmy I am awake".  The night before Nick had a stuffy nose and was snoring.

Vin has always been a great sleeper, well not always, time travel back to the 5 month old crying it out saga of early 2007.  But since his teeth fully came in he has been a champ sleeper.  He has his nights and I usually see him around 11 pm about once every 8-9 days, but all in all he is great.  (pre-emptive knock on wood) For the last 2 weeks he has not had a major whining session and despite a cough he has been sleeping like never before and lo and behold I am up for other reasons.  I am hoping that he is starting to reach the promised land of more grown up sleep.  I would like to shoot whoever puts that idea in your head that once your newborn starts sleeping thru the night that you are home free.  Thats crap and any mom can tell you that.  

Well if I make the decision to become nocturnal I will let you all know.

No comments: